Friday, June 11, 2010

Cupcakes for Lunch, Anyone?

As I hit my snooze button this (thank god it’s Friday) morning, I already knew what I wanted for lunch.

C U P C A K E S

I am a sucker for sweets... I love sweet food (pastry, chocolates, candies), sweet deals (on clothes, vacations, and shoes), sweet guys (yes, especially the ones that stay sweet after the probationary period), sweet job (that job that is still a sweet gig after the probationary period). Sweet Mary, I could go on and on with my list of sweet loves!! But you get my point.

I wish I can be one of those people that can just casually peruse through a bakery or a chocolat place. Oh no, I take that back, I don’t wish to be one of those people. I could never be one of those people. I’ve already embraced the fact that I have a sweet tooth (actually its more like all of my 32 teeth, I probably need to include my tongue too). There’s no going back.

Its lunchtime and I saw my colleagues brought back their salad bowls from the Big Apple Deli, Prêt, McDonald’s, etc. yet all I could think about is… Magnolia Bakery!! As I get up to walk 3 blocks (I really needed this walk to burn some much needed calories, to make room for the cupcake calories) to pick up my sweet lunch, Joe, my work neighbor asked what I’m having for lunch. My reply...

“Cupcakes for lunch... Anyone?”

Maybe I shouldn’t have said that out loud, especially after seeing their salad bowls. I can just hear these guys muttering under their breath, “Beeatch, cant you see I have a salad, trying to eat healthy. Must you mention cupcakes?!” But Joe surprised me as he asked to pick an extra cupcake for him. My other neighbor, Sean asked for a mini cheesecake pickup as well. This is fantastic!!!

As soon as I open Magnolia Bakery’s doors, the smell of cookies, pastries, cakes, pies, banana puddings, brownies, bars is just absolutely euphoric. I went there with a purpose, so I should be able to control myself as I can just go on my happy way and straight to the cupcake and cake lines (Magnolia has a separate line for drinks, cakes, cookies, cupcakes, etc.). I ordered a red velvet cupcake for me, 2 Carrie cupcakes for Joe and myself (he wanted the hummingbird cupcake but its all gone, and he does not like chocolate cake or red velvet cake, but they have a countless supply of the Carrie cupcakes), and a Red Velvet with a Chocolate Cookie Crust mini Cheesecake for Sean.

I got back to the office with all these goodies, feeling like I’m Santa Claus. I had to tell Joe that Magnolia ran out of Hummingbird so I picked up a vanilla cupcake with butter cream frosting. I made sure to omit the fact that it is called the “Carrie” cupcake and it is in fact topped with PINK butter cream frosting. My neighbor is a big guy, over 6 foot and 250+ lbs; surely the last thing that he would want to know is that his cupcake is called Carrie (from Sex and the City)!

As Joe digs into his (Carrie) cupcake, I hear him say, “HHmm”, “Woow”, “Ohh”, “This icing is unbelievable”. I am dying (LOL’ing) inside as all I could think of is the SATC episode when Carrie and Miranda were eating this same cupcake while they talk about Carrie’s new crush, Aidan.” Hahaha, oh gosh.

But I do agree with Joe’s assessment on this batch of Carrie cupcakes. The icing was indeed smooth, creamy, fluffy and not sticky and not too sweet (yes there is such thing as too sweet). As I bit into the cake, it gives you those little crumbles, but the pieces are moist enough to mold those little crumbles back together.


The red velvet cupcake is as moist as well, and the icing is light and creamy (it’s a whipped vanilla icing, made from butter, vanilla and sugar. I do miss having the cream cheese here). Overall, it’s a pretty solid lunch, I’m happy.

I hope that one day, the lil Magnolia Bakery helpers start spreading the frosting very liberally on the cupcakes.



xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment